Environmental/Radon Section Scholarship Awards
The Environmental/Radon Section of the Health Physics Society (HPS) is dedicated to promoting students within our discipline. To this end, the Environmental/Radon Section is proud to sponsor the F. Ward Whicker Scholarship. This scholarship will provide $2,000 per year ($1,000 for the first semester and $1,000 for the second semester—dependent on successful completion of the first semester). Eligible candidates must:
- Be students accepted into a graduate program in the United States, though exceptions to this requirement will be considered in some circumstances.
- Have projects and academic coursework focusing any of the following: radon (e.g., measurement, health impacts, epidemiology, etc.), environmental health physics, measurements of environmental radioactivity (including radiochemistry), or radioecology. One scholarship is awarded annually and the award is rotated to a different student each year.
Submit the HPS Fellowships and Scholarships application form. After you submit the form, you should receive a confirmation by email that the scholarship application has been received by the HPS. If you do not immediately receive this confirmation email, check your spam folder.
- Copies of all undergraduate and graduate transcripts (nonofficial transcript is fine).
- A one-page statement about your personal career goals, including a statement about your intent to enter the field of health physics.
- Your CV, with a maximum of 3 pages.
- A summary of your health physics curriculum outlining the proposed course of study, a description of the courses to be taken, and the proposed timeline for graduate study. The plan of study must be signed by your faculty advisor and include that individual's contact information. Applicants for entering graduate students need not have been formally accepted by the program at the time this letter is written.
- Two signed and sealed letters of recommendation from people attesting to your potential for study in health physics should be emailed/mailed under separate cover.
Supporting material should be emailed/mailed with a postmark no later than 27 February 2020 to:
Health Physics Society
950 Herndon Parkway
Herndon, VA 20170
Alternatively, these can be emailed directly as a single PDF file attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org with a cc copy to email@example.com. You will receive an email about this after completion of your application.