HPS Development of American National Standards
|ANSI/HPS standards are available to HPS members for no charge on our Members Only website and to the general public for purchase through our exclusive distributor, IHS, at the IHS Standards Store.
See a complete list of ANSI/HPS Standards.
The Health Physics Society (HPS) is an Accredited Standards Developer. The two Accredited Standards Committees (ASC)—N13 and N43—along with the HPS standards coordinator, constitute the HPS standards organization.
The primary scopes of the respective organizations are:
- The Health Physics Society Standards Committee (HPSSC) is concerned with integration among the respective HPS ASCs and with HPS organizational representation to other national and international standards organizations. The HPSSC is charged with prioritizing and publishing HPS standards. Click here for a list of the current HPSSC members.
- Click here for a listing of N13 standards available for download by members of the HPS and for purchase by nonmembers.
- ASC N13 develops consensus standards dealing with or pertaining to radiation protection. Radiation protection includes the protection of individuals or groups from occupational or environmental exposure to radiation or radioactive materials.
- ASC N43 is concerned with radiation protection aspects of radiation-producing equipment used in industrial and nonmedical research and development activities (excluding nuclear reactors).
The HPS standards coordinator is concerned with coordination and administration of HPS standards activities involving the HPSSC, N13, and N43.
HPS members may get detailed information on the activities of the Standards Committees in the Members Only Standards section. ANSI/HPS standards are available to HPS members for no charge on the Members Only website and the general public for purchase through our exclusive distributor IHS.
- ANSI N42 - Although not directly affiliated with the HPS, this committee develops standards in the general area of performance specifications for a wide variety of radiation detection and measurement instrumentation. These standards are available for purchase directly from ANSI. Click here to go the ANSI website store and enter "N42" in the Search box to see a listing of N42 publications.