How to Join the Health Physics Society
Why should I join the Health Physics Society?
If you are personally or professionally interested in personal and environmental radiation protection in particular and minimizing risk from radiation exposure relative to the derived benefits in general, you share the interests of nearly 5,000 other members of this respected international professional organization. Your participation in Health Physics Society (HPS) activities and interaction with the members will provide opportunities to have a well-developed and highly productive career as a health physicist. Membership categories and dues information are available through these links.
What are the benefits of joining the Health Physics Society?
Membership in the HPS brings a multitude of benefits worth far more than the cost of membership. HPS is pleased to be able to offer members all of the following:
- Subscription to the monthly journal Health Physics, the premier journal in the field of radiation protection.
- Subscription to the quarterly journal Operational Radiation Safety, emphasizing applied radiation protection.
- Access to the monthly online newsletter Health Physics News.
- Access to the full library of Health Physics Journal, Operational Radiation Safety, and Health Physics News issues that have been published.
- Access to the online Members Directory.
- Online access to presentations from past HPS meetings.
- Discounts on registration fees and hotel reservations for the HPS annual and midyear meetings.
- Discounts on registration fees for meetings of the Radiation Research Society.
- Discounts on the online purchase of publications of the National Council on Radiation Protection and Measurements.
- Free American National Standards Institute (ANSI) standards developed by the HPS (available for purchase by nonmembers).
- Free reports from the International Commission on Radiation Units & Measurements.
- Subscription to the American Institute of Physics journal, Physics Today, for $25 annually.
- Membership in the International Radiation Protection Association (IRPA) and access to the newsletters of several IRPA associate societies (Canada, France, and the United Kingdom).
HPS membership is a prerequisite for:
- Reduced fees to join one of the HPS specialized sections.
- Serving as an officer or director of the Society.
- Serving as president or president-elect of a local chapter.
How do I join?
You may join the Health Physics Society by mail or electronically using our interactive application form.
All memberships are calendar year (i.e., January through December). Membership applications received after 1 October will be processed for the next year. Membership in the Society will not begin until payment is received. Refunds are not issued for purchase of Health Physics Society membership; membership is canceled when the membership term expires or if an individual or institution requests that the membership be terminated.