Answer to Question #8480 Submitted to "Ask the Experts"

Category: Microwaves, Radar, and Radiofrequency

The following question was answered by an expert in the appropriate field:

Q
My family and I live in a 24-story building directly above the transformer/meter room. I was just wondering if you could tell me there is any danger associated with that?
A
Do not worry, such electronic products do not pose a health hazard to you or your family.

Radiofrequency waves have minimal interaction biologically speaking, are not considered hazardous, and should not be of concern. The magnetic fields they induce are also extremely weak. Although certain industrial applications require compliance with a variety of regulations, what the public is normally exposed to, including your residence and workplace, is negligible and should not be a cause for concern. The major hazard with a transformer would be electrical, i.e., the risk of electrocution from improperly insulated wiring.

I am attaching several URLs from several organizations, some of which provide additional links and may also be helpful.

I hope this is useful information.

Orhan H. Suleiman, MS, PhD

Answer posted on 21 August 2009. The information posted on this web page is intended as general reference information only. Specific facts and circumstances may affect the applicability of concepts, materials, and information described herein. The information provided is not a substitute for professional advice and should not be relied upon in the absence of such professional advice. To the best of our knowledge, answers are correct at the time they are posted. Be advised that over time, requirements could change, new data could be made available, and Internet links could change, affecting the correctness of the answers. Answers are the professional opinions of the expert responding to each question; they do not necessarily represent the position of the Health Physics Society.