Answer to Question #7499 Submitted to "Ask the Experts"

Category: Environmental and Background Radiation — Radon

The following question was answered by an expert in the appropriate field:


I need to order a urine radon exposure test kit. I also need to be tested for uranium and radium. Please let me know how to get tested.

I have high levels of radon in my house despite having a radon pump working. I have many health issues that might be related to radon/uranium exposure in our house.


I am unaware of any urine test kits for radon, and I am not aware that urine testing for radon is done at all. Concerning radium and uranium, there are methods of analyzing these radioactive materials in urine, which are used primarily for workers in certain nuclear-related industries. There are some commercial radiochemical laboratories that offer these analyses, and the Internet link below identified as "laboratories" may help you locate a vendor that could perform your analyses. The laboratories marked "yes" in the bioassay column would be the ones most likely to perform analyses of urine for radium and uranium. Regarding your health concerns, the Internet links below provide information about radon, radium, and uranium, including their health effects.





Tom Gesell, CHP, PhD

Answer posted on 12 May 2008. The information posted on this web page is intended as general reference information only. Specific facts and circumstances may affect the applicability of concepts, materials, and information described herein. The information provided is not a substitute for professional advice and should not be relied upon in the absence of such professional advice. To the best of our knowledge, answers are correct at the time they are posted. Be advised that over time, requirements could change, new data could be made available, and Internet links could change, affecting the correctness of the answers. Answers are the professional opinions of the expert responding to each question; they do not necessarily represent the position of the Health Physics Society.