Society News Archive
The Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) will hold a briefing on Thursday, 17 July 2014, at 9:00 a.m. "Briefing on Radiation Source Protection and Security (Part 1)" is open to the public. Part 2 of the meeting is scheduled for 10:35 a.m. and is closed to the public. Those wishing to consider attending should contact Kim Lukes (301-415-6701) to register their intent. Usually, the NRC does not take questions from the audience during these briefings. The briefing will be webcast live on the NRC website.
The purpose of the meeting is to provide the NRC with a discussion of enhancements to the security and protection of radiation sources, and the topics include:
- Accomplishments in source security, specifically 10 CFR Part 37 implementation and the transition from post-9/11 security orders to regulations.
- Regional inspection perspectives on radiation source security and protection.
- Radiation Source Protection and Security Task Force, including the development of the 2014 report, which is due to the President and Congress by 7 August 2014.
- Framework and tools that enhance source security, including the Integrated Source Management Portfolio.
- Looking forward, challenges and strategies for source security.