It Is Not Over Until The NRC Signs
E. Jawdeh, R. D. Ice, J. Sauber, N. E. Hertel
The Georgia Tech Research Reactor (GTRR) was located on the 330 acre campus of the Georgia Institute of Technology. The campus is located in a residential and commercial area approximately two miles north of the center of downtown Atlanta. The GTRR was a 5 MW thermal, heavy-water moderated and cooled reactor, fueled with plates of aluminum-uranium alloy. The core, which had a volume of 7.3 ft3, contained up to 19 fuel elements. Each element contained 16 individual curved aluminum-uranium alloy plates. The fuel matrix was 0.02 inches thick, 2.5 inches wide and 23.5 inches long with approximately 11.7 grams of 93% enriched uranium content. The fuel elements were centrally located within a 6-foot aluminum reactor vessel that allowed for a 2-foot thick D2O reflector completely surrounding the core. The reactor vessel was housed inside a cylindrical shape containment with torispherical top and a flat bottom. The containment building is 82.17 feet in diameter and made of steel and concrete. The GTRR was used for neutron activation analysis, operator training and material testing. The reactor was designed to produce a thermal flux of greater than 1014 n cm-2 sec-1 at a power of 5MW. The reactor was licensed in 1964 with an engineered lifetime of 30 years. It operated almost daily for an average energy output of 1297 MW-hr per year. The reactor operated through 17 November 1995 and generated 40,204 MW-hr of thermal power over its operating lifetime.
This abstract was presented at the 35th Annual Midyear Meeting, "Decommissioning and Environmental Restoration", Regulatory Issues Session, 2/17/2002 - 2/20/2002, held in Orlando, FL.