63rd Annual Meeting
15–19 July 2018, Cleveland, Ohio
Huntington Convention Center of Cleveland
Persons attending our meetings should note our Respectful Behavior Policy.
If you have not yet registered, you will be able to register on-site at the meeting.
Bring your family to 63rd Health Physics Society (HPS) Annual Meeting in the vibrant lakeside city of Cleveland, an eclectic mix of nationally recognized chefs, a 100-year-old public market, an incredible live-music scene, and more than 30,000 acres of parkland. Cleveland is also home to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, world-renowned arts and cultural institutions such as the Cleveland Museum of Art and the Cleveland Orchestra, and the nation's second-largest performing arts district.
Nearly $3 billion in visitor-related infrastructure development is happening in Cleveland right now. Part of this unprecedented growth includes a new convention center, the Horseshoe Casino Cleveland, multiple hotel projects, and more. Learn more on the This Is Cleveland website.
The Local Arrangements Committee chair is Andy Miller.
The Task Force chair for the Program Committee is Zach Tribbett.
Check out the HPS hotels and make your reservations now.
For discounted hotel rates ($166/night) at the Hilton Cleveland headquarters hotel, click here.
The Westin Cleveland Downtown is the overflow hotel and is sold out. ($166/night).
All hotel rooms subject to availability. Room block pricing ends 13 June.
New Award Presentation Information
This year's meeting will feature an Award Breakfast on Wednesday morning instead of a Tuesday-evening banquet.
Approved for 25 CAMPEP credits for certain sessions. Anyone who has any questions about receiving these credits should contact Sandy Konerth.
|General Sessions:||Special Sessions:|
Professional Development School
This year's professional development school (PDS)—"Hands-On Medical Health Physics: Emerging Technologies and Challenges"—will run 18–20 July in Cleveland. The PDS flyer contains a program description. Registration for the PDS is on the meeting registration form, which is available online now and soon as a PDF form.
5th Annual HPS Quiz Bowl
- Great Lakes Brewery Tour—Monday, 16 July, 4–6 p.m.
- HPS 5K Run/WalkTuesday—17 July, 6:30–8:30 a.m.
- Cleveland Museum of Art—Tuesday, 17 July, 9:30 a.m.–1 p.m.
- Night Out at Hofbrauhäus Cleveland—Tuesday, 17 July, 6:30 p.m.: Singing, dancing, laughing, and eating are all common sights in the Cleveland Hofbräuhaus Bier Hall. Modeled after the authentic 400-year-old Bier Hall at the Hofbräuhaus in Munich, Germany, the Bier Hall brings a piece of Bavaria to you. Enjoy the magnificent signature Hofbräuhaus chandeliers, long wooden tables and benches, and live music. For the HPS night out, we have selected a buffet menu featuring popular German fare. The freshly brewed beer follows the "Reinheitsgebot" or "Bavarian Beer Purity Law" originating in 1516. Discover one of the four year-round varieties or seasonal brews. Sign up for the night out on the annual meeting registration form.
- Pub Crawl—Wednesday, 18 July, 6:30 p.m.
Health Physics Garage Sale - May Be Very Interesting!
Do you have any old, historical, interesting items at your home that you no longer need or want? Do you think that other HPS members would be interested in them? Bring them to the HPS garage sale at the annual meeting. You will receive a tax deduction for your donation.
HPS will auction the item and the money received will be used for scholarships, fellowships, student travel grants, and other benevolent Society activities. You bring the item to the meeting and deliver it to the Secretariat, who will place it in a silent or live auction. The time of the auctions will be listed in the meeting program. Meeting attendees will be able to view those items in the exhibit hall before the auction.
At the end of the auction, winners will pay for the items and pick them up or arrange for shipment. If the winner of a silent-auction item is not present, the second-place bid will win unless previous arrangements have been made. If the item cannot be taken with the winner, then arrangements must be made by the winner to remove the item(s)—HPS will not take possession of any items.
If no one bids on an item, the original owner must take that item back and maybe try again the following year. Items that are too large to bring to the meeting can also be entered in the auction. Pictures and descriptions of items can be brought to the meeting and then arrangements for shipping items can be made between owner and bid winner.
HPS PEP Abstract & CEL Lectures
American Academy of Health Physics Courses will be held Saturday, 14 July, and include:
- AAHP-1A–Practical External Dosimetry Management (Ushino), 8 a.m.–12 p.m., $200.00
- AAHP-1B–Internal Dosimetry Review, Standards, and Ongoing Considerations (Potter), 1 p.m.–5 p.m., $200.00
- AAHP-1–Includes AAHP-1A and AAHP-1B above at a reduced rate!, $395.00
- AAHP-2–Radiological Dispersal Device (RDD) and Nuclear Detonation Response Tools for ROSS [...] (Buddemeier), 8 a.m.–5 p.m., $395.00
- AAHP-3–Radiation Risk Assessment (Dolislager), 8 a.m.–5 p.m., $395.00
Discounted Tickets to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame
Great news! Using the link and special promotional code below, adult general-admission tickets for the Cleveland Rock & Roll Hall of Fame can be purchased at the discount rate of $18 (regularly $26). This offer is available online only and is valid 9–24 July.
- Go to ticketing.rockhall.com.
- Enter promo code "BigJoeTurner18" in the upper right-hand corner at checkout.
- Hit "Submit" to activate the code.