Health Physics News
The September 2006 issue of Health Physics News has 32 pages and includes lots of annual meeting photos.
- COVER — Communication is becoming more and more a topic of importance among health physicists. Radiation safety specialists are realizing that communication with the public is essential. In our cover story this month, risk communication expert Baruch Fischhoff, HPS Morgan Lecturer, and Mimi Limbach, Senior Vice President of Potomac Communications, share their views on this subject with readers.
- INSIDE THE BELTWAY — David Connolly points out the importance of the HPS Government Relations Program and the new HPS Media Relations Program for providing scientific information to Congress.
- PRESIDENT'S MESSAGE — President Dodd discusses the Grand Pooh-Bah and servant leadership.
- CORRESPONDENCE — David Horn comments on an abstract by Ray Johnson.
- Ray Johnson responds to Horn.
- ANNUAL MEETING PHOTOS
- 2006 ANNUAL MEETING HIGHLIGHTS — Members of the Providence Local Arrangements Committee summarize the 2006 Annual Meeting.
- AD HOC COMMITTEES AND TASK FORCES Brian Dodd explains the difference between Subcommittees, Ad Hoc Committees, and Task Forces.
- NOTES — If you're planning on going to the Midyear meeting in Knoxville, Chuck Scott gives you some ideas of fun things to do while you're there.
- Donald Ray Alexander obituary.
- ANNOUNCEMENTS — Russian government approves extension of JCCRER Agreement.
- NCRP announces the release of all current publications in electronic format.
- Health Physics content from 1958 through 2005 is on a DVD which is enclosed with the September Journal.
- POSITION STATEMENT — The approved HPS Position Statement "Managing Spent Nuclear Fuel" is published in the newsletter this month.
- CHP CORNER — The Academy needs you or someone you know to serve as an AAHP officer in 2008.
- ANNOUNCEMENTS — NEA/ICRP Forum on the Evolution of the System of Radiological Protection will take place in August in Washington, DC.
- The second All African IRPA Regional Congress will be held in April 2007 in Egypt.
- CHP CORNER — The Title Protection and Professional Recognition Committee is the newest of the AAHP eight standing committees. Committee Chair Tim Buhl gives readers the history of the committee and tells what the committee will be doing and who the members are.
- The 2006 William A. McAdams Award winner is announced.
- The summer meeting of the ABHP was held in Providence during the HPS Annual Meeting.
- ODDS AND ENDS — This month's Archives article is titled "Dig That Uranium."
- ADVERTISEMENTS — 11 display ads, 15 short courses, and 4 jobs are offered this month.
To have your Chapter or Branch News, Committee Activities, Correspondence, Announcements, Section News, Short Courses, Job Ads, or Display Ads published in Health Physics News, contact Sharon R. Hebl at the Health Physics News office—507-362-8958, fax: 507-362-4513, or email: email@example.com.