August 2004 Health Physics News
The August 2004 issue of the Health Physics Society's Newsletter has 28 pages
- COVER — This month's cover story puts together a comprehensive look at the Chornobyl nuclear reactor accident and thyroid diseases, including cancer and nonmalignant thyroid abnormalities.
- EDITORIAL — Mark Maiello questions "who would be the lead agency in a radiological crisis?"
- CORRESPONDENCE — Allen Brodsky disagrees with Andy Karam's Editorial "Stuck in a Groove?" and Andy responds to Allen.
- INSIDE THE BELTWAY — David Connolly writes his first Beltway column. He encourages HPS members to visit their legislators' offices while in DC.
- AGENCY NEWS — Two new document collections were recently placed on the public Nuclear Regulatory Commission website: Commission Policy Statements and Branch Technical Positions.
- INTERESTED in donating your Health Physics subscription? — Details on how to do this are in this month's Health Physics News.
- COMMITTEE ACTIVITIES — HPS President Ray Guilmette announces new committee appointments.
- John R. Frazier announces the HPS awards presented at the annual meeting in Washington, DC.
- CHAPTER NEWS — Reports from the Northern Ohio, Cascade, South Texas, and Rio Grande Chapters.
- NOTES — Through the Homeland Defense Equipment Reuse Program, New Mexico recently received 50 AN/PDR 27S beta-gamma detectors, surplus from the Navy.
- HPS Award Winners – we need some biographical information from you to include on the HPS website.
- ANNOUNCEMENTS — Annual Meeting of the OAS
- ICRP releases draft 2005 recommendations.
- The AAHP and HPS salary survey is currently underway.
- New book on nuclear terrorism, The Four Faces of Nuclear Terrorism.
- CHP CORNER — Information is given on CHPs for the William McAdams and the Outstanding Service Award.
- 2004 AAHP election results are listed.
- ODDS and ENDS — This month, Paul tells about the Plaque Storage Box.
- ADVERTISEMENTS — This issue has 16 display ads, 8 short courses offered, and 6 job offers.
To have your Chapter or Branch News, Committee Activities, Correspondence, Announcements, Section News, Short Courses, Job Ads, or Display Ads published in Health Physics News, contact Sharon R. Hebl at the Health Physics News office—507-362-8958, fax: 507-362-4513, or email: email@example.com.