February 2004 Health Physics News
Highlights of the 36-page February 2004 issue of Health Physics News include the following:
- COVER — Resale of radioactive sources is among the top 10 security threats posed by radioactive sources. This month Joel Lubenau, CHP, explains how the Internet is being used as a convenient way to sell high-hazard used sources and devices containing sources. He recommends being cautious when attempting to find a buyer for a used source and the need for all of us to be "street smart." Dave Allard contributes his views as a regulator on the subject and adds that we need to be cautious about all sources.
- FROM THE PRESIDENT — HPS President Ken Kase discusses the future of health physics.
- INSIDE THE BELTWAY — Stan Ullman updates us on the Medicare/Prescription Drug bill and the Secretary of Energy Advisory Board meeting.
- CORRESONDENCE — Duke Lovins tells about the new Hot Wheels® Atomix Nuclear Meltdown Micro Set.
- John Poston and Ian Hamilton write about the December ABET article.
- ELMER AND THE AIR RAID SIREN — Another fun story by Ken Miller.
- OUTSIDE THE CORNER OFFICE — Check out the new Outside the Corner Office column and the new contributing editor.
- COMMITTEES — Nominating Committee Chair John Auxier reminds members about the call for officer nominations for 2005 and Awards Committee Chair John Frazier invites nominations for Society awards.
- SECTION NEWS — Members of the Accelerator Section encourage students to submit papers for the Patterson Memorial Award.
- CHAPTER NEWS — Chapter updates this month are from the Rio Grande Chapter, the South Texas Chapter, and the Northern Ohio Chapter.
- NOTES — The Baltimore-Washington Chapter looks forward to the 2004 annual meeting to be held in Washington, DC, and focuses their article on excursions available to meeting attendees.
- Former members of PHS and EPA gather to share memories of friends and programs at the DRH Reception.
- New HPS officers are listed.
- Obituaries: Carl M. Unruh, Howard Milton Prichard III, William Emmett Bolch Jr., and Vern C. Rogers.
- ANNOUNCEMENTS — Upcoming meetings of the 14th International Conference on SSD and the Internal Dosimetry Symposium are announced.
- 2003 HPS SALARY SURVEY — Check out the 2003 HPS Salary Survey prepared by Chris Graham and Andy King.
- CHP CORNER — The ABMP announces changes in the medical health physics certification process.
- ODDS and ENDS — Paul Frame discusses the Uranium Rush board game.
- ADVERTISEMENTS — This month there are 16 display ads, 13 short courses offered, and 6 job offers.
To have your Chapter or Branch News, Committee Activities, Correspondence, Announcements, Section News, Short Courses, Job Ads or Display Ads published in Health Physics News, contact Sharon R. Hebl at the Health Physics News office—507-362-8958; fax: 507-362-4513; or email: firstname.lastname@example.org