October 2002 Newsletter Highlights
The October 2002 issue of the HPS Newsletter is 36 pages and includes the 2003 Midyear Preliminary Program insert.
- COVER — John Frazier took office as the 47th President of the HPS. He shares his thoughts on his involvement in health physics and with the HPS.
- GUEST EDITORIAL — Mark Maiello speaks out about the task of radiological defense.
- PRESIDENT'S MESSAGE — In John Frazier's first President's Message, he reports on recent activities by the HPS.
- FACT SHEETS — The HPS has developed two Fact Sheets on potassium iodide to be distributed to Congress, media, and anywhere else to aid in the public's education.
- AGENCY NEWS — DOE: Federal agencies cooperate to provide radiation detection equipment and training to emergency responders; NRC: Update on Consolidated NMSS Decommissioning Guidance and NRC's nuclear security enhancements.
- CHAPTER NEWS — Chapters reporting this month are the Susquehanna Valley Chapter and the South Texas Chapter.
- CROSSWORD PUZZLE — Let us know what you think of Ken Krieger's Crossword Puzzle in this month's Newsletter.
- WORKER GRANTS/FELLOWSHIPS — The Student Travel/Worker Grants and Fellowships forms are ready for students wanting financial assistance and help in going to the HPS meeting in San Diego.
- HPS STANDARDS CORNER — Ken Swinth explains the organizational flow of international standards participation by the HPS.
- COMMITTEE ACTIVITIES — Training materials and chapter organization regarding homeland security are the topics of this month's Committee Activities.
- NCRP — The NCRP will present a symposium on computed tomography: patient dose.
- NOTES — Information about the upcoming Midyear Topical Meeting in San Antonio and the ARSCE meeting in San Diego are part of this month's Notes section; Tom Johnson reports on the ANSI Z136.1 Laser Committee Meeting; and the obituary of Simon Kinsman.
- CHP CORNER — A report of the ABHP presented at the AAHP meeting held in Tampa.
- ODDS AND ENDS — Paul Frame describes the Real Marinelli beaker from the historical archives.
- ADVERTISEMENTS — This month there are 15 display ads, 13 short courses offered, and 4 job offers.
To have your Chapter or Branch News, Committee Activities, Correspondence, Announcements, Section News, Short Courses, or Display Ads published in the Newsletter, contact Sharon Hebl at the Newsletter office—507-362-8958; fax: 507-362-4513; or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.