August 2002 Newsletter Highlights
The August 2002 issue of the HPS Newsletter has lots of photos from the ARSCE meeting held in Tampa and many other exciting articles including the following:
- COVER — The results of the Hanford Thyroid Disease Study Final Report have been released. The cover story is an interview with Dr. Charles Miller and Dr. Paul Garbe, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, who explain the study
- EDITORIAL — This month's editorial will encourage you talk to the press about radiation issues. Following the editorial is a copy of the press release issued by the Society responding to the orphan source subject.
- CORRESPONDENCE — T. D. Luckey and Mark Maiello share their views about low-level radiation and the "dirty" bomb threat.
- SECTION NEWS — The Accelerator Section honors Vashek Vylet with the first Section Volunteer Award.
- CHAPTER NEWS — This month chapters reporting are Columbia, Western New York, and Great Lakes.
- SUMMER SCHOOL — Sara M. Carlisle gives an overview of the 2002 Summer School held 10-14 June in Tampa.
- ARSCE MEETING TAMPA —
- Photos – Lots of awardee and miscellaneous photos;
- Russian Students – Mike Ryan reports on the great experience had by the Russian students and their mentors who attended the ARSCE meeting;
- Elda E. Anderson Award – Acceptance speech which was given by awardee Rich Brey.
- TREASURER'S REPORT — Treasurer Brian Dodd gives his final report of the Society's financial status.
- IRPA — IRPA President Geoff Webb gives a report on the IRPA Executive Council activities.
- NOTES — NRC meetings are reported on; the South Texas Chapter invites you to the 2003 Midyear Meeting in San Antonio; obituaries of Brian A. Kelly, Edmond E. Griffin, and Alice M. Stewart; 25-year members of the HPS; Homeland Defense articles by George Anastas and Allen Brodsky.
- ANNOUNCEMENTS — A Nuclear Terrorist Management Symposium will be held in New York in October.
- CARICATURES — Lots of caricatures by Bela Kovach.
- INSIDE THE BELTWAY — Stan Ullman gives a Yucca Mountain update.
- CHP CORNER — AAHP selects a logo.
- ADVERTISEMENTS — This month there are 16 display ads, 14 short courses offered, and 3 job offers.
To have your Chapter or Branch News, Committee Activities, Correspondence, Announcements, Section News, Short Courses, or Display Ads published in the Newsletter, contact Sharon Hebl at the Newsletter office—507-362-8958; fax: 507-362-4513; or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.