August 2001 Newsletter Highlights
The Health Physics Society's August 2001 Newsletter has an ANSI Standard insert and 36 pages chocked full of Annual Meeting photos and a wide range of topics including the following:
- COVER — This month the cover story addresses the human capital crisis affecting the nuclear industry and its potential impact on the health physics manpower situation.
- EDITORIAL — Dade Moeller reviews pronouncements made by Dr. Ernest J. Sternglass. This will be helpful to people addressing "tooth fairy" project questions.
- MEMBER'S POINT OF VIEW — Geoff Webb points out areas for closer collaboration among the HPS, IAEA, and IRPA. George Anastas responds to Webb's remarks.
- AEC RESPONSE TO THE HUMAN-RESOURCE SHORTAGE — Rich Brey explains what the Academic Education Committee is doing about a perceived human-resource shortage in the United States.
- CORRESPONDENCE — Gary Zeman and Gordon Riel share their concerns about the distribution of printed Standards. George Anastas explains what the Board of Directors has decided in the distribution of Standards.
- INSIDE THE BELTWAY — President Bush names John Marburger to be White House Science Advisor and the EPA announces final radiation standards for Yucca Mountain.
- COMMITTEE ACTIVITIES — Eric Goldin gives the results of the CEC survey conducted late in 2000.
- Susan Masih gives an update on the HPS Booth.
- Should the OSHA Refresher Training be an annual course?
- CHAPTER NEWS — NECHPS sponsors state science fair.
- The Atlanta Chapter has a new address.
- The Newsletter begins a series of short articles from those authors who submit manuscripts summarizing their presentations at the AAHP session at the 2001 ARSCE.
- Elda E. Anderson Award Acceptance Speech by Edmond Hui and Newell Stannard's Founders Award Acceptance Speech is published this month.
- NOTES — David Hintenlang authors the first article on the ARSCE 2002 to be held in Tampa.
- Ken Mossman reports the results of the "Safe Radiation Dose" survey conducted in December 2000/January 2001.
- 25-year members of the HPS are listed.
- CHP CORNER — Robert Miltenberger discusses the calculator policy and Part I exam changes.
- ADVERTISEMENTS — This month there are 13 display ads, 17 short courses offered, and 8 job offers.
To have your Chapter or Branch News, Committee Activities, Correspondence, Announcements, Section News, Short Courses, or Display Ads published in the Newsletter, contact Sharon Hebl at the Newsletter office—507-362-8958; fax: 507-362-4513; or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.