January 2001 Newsletter Highlights
The Health Physics Society's January 2001 Newsletter has an ANSI Standard Insert and 36 pages of great information covering a wide range of topics including the following:
- COVER — In this month's cover story, HPS Congressional Liaison Keith Dinger shares with HPS members an explanation of the history and function of the Society's Congressional Liaison activities.
- EDITORIAL — "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof" by Andy Karam — Andy asks whether we should consider applying this standard to the debate over the shape of the radiation dose-response curve at low levels of exposure.
- BELTWAY — Liz Gemski discusses the 2000 elections and the new administration in the White House.
- AWARD PROGRAM — Paul Rohwer and Ray Johnson explain the Volunteer Award Program and lists the Chapter Volunteer Award recipients for Society year 1999-2000.
- AGENCY NEWS — The NRC announces the availability of draft NUREG-1736 on Part 20 Guidance.
- The EPA has released two radionuclide soil screening documents.
- CORRESPONDENCE — Frank Marcinowski, EPA, responds to David Kocher's December Newsletter article and states that "EPA Supports Harmonization."
- Julie Rosenberg, ISCORS, announces that the Federal Guidance to the General Public will be updated.
- MEMBER'S POINT OF VIEW — More on "Truth" by Bill Belanger.
- CHAPTER NEWS — The Virginia Chapter and the Virginia Section of the ANS will be holding a spring joint meeting.
- The South Texas Chapter undertakes a pilot program and bolsters membership.
- The New Jersey Chapter held a dinner meeting in Somerset, New Jersey.
- SECTION NEWS — The RSO Section will be sponsoring a special session of papers at the annual meeting in Cleveland in 2001.
- HPS STANDARDS CORNER — Ken Swinth and Jack Fix present an update on the HPS Standards activities.
- HPS Standards are on the website.
- EDITORS: PRESENT AND PAST — Mike Ryan and Ken Miller express their feelings on starting a new phase in their lives.
- RAMSAR TRIP — Andy Karam tells of his trip to the Ramsar high-background-radiation area near Tehran, Iran.
- NOTES — The Notes section has information on the ARSCE meeting in Cleveland, Greta Dicus being named to the ICRP, Cal Rad Forum extending membership to all health physicists, and the obituary of Dr. Clarence Lushbaugh.
- CHP CORNER — This month's Corner lists those individuals who successfully completed the ABHP Exam.
- ADVERTISEMENTS — This month there are 12 display ads, 17 short courses offered, and 6 job offers.
To have your Chapter or Branch News, Committee Activities, Correspondence, Announcements, Section News, Short Courses, or Display Ads published in the Newsletter, contact Sharon Hebl at the Newsletter office—507-362-8958; fax: 507-362-4513; or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.