August 2000 Newsletter Highlights
The August 2000 issue of the Health Physics Society's Newsletter has 36 pages including some great photos from the IRPA-10 meeting in Japan and an ANSI Standard.
- COVER — The International Radiation Protection Association met in Hiroshima, Japan, 14-19 May 2000. To many attending it was an emotional and moving experience. Newsletter writer Mary Walchuk has interviewed five attendees and shares their reflections on being in Hiroshima 55 years after the bombing.
- EDITORIAL — In the editorial Andy Karam continues the discussion about whether the Society should consider changing its name from the Health Physics Society to some other designation that is more easily understood by the general public.
- PRESIDENT'S MESSAGE — Ray Johnson gives a review of his year as President of the HPS.
- REFLECTIONS — Another view of Hiroshima 55 years after the bombing.
- AGENCY NEWS — Two NRC articles: (1) The NRC seeks comment on storage of certain "Greater than Class C" waste in an independent spent fuel storage facility and (2) the NRC seeks public comment on issues; plans rule making for packaging and transporting radioactive material.
- INSIDE THE BELTWAY — The Senate passed the Radiation Exposure Compensation Act Amendments of 1999 by unanimous consent and the House passed the Fiscal 2001 Energy and Water Appropriations bill on Wednesday, 28 June.
- CORRESPONDENCE — Ralph H. Thomas comments on in-flight radiation and the right to know.
- CHAPTER NEWS — The Buckeye Chapter and the South Texas Chapter report on recent meetings.
- NONIONIZING COLUMN — Kenneth R. Foster, professor of bioengineering at the University of Pennsylvania writes about precautions about cell phones.
- The newly developed HPS booth was exhibited at the 2000 AIHCE in Orlando.
- The 2001 ARSCE meeting will be held in Cleveland, Ohio.
- Claire C. Palmiter obituary
- Twenty-Five year members of the HPS
- Eighteen new members of the HPS
- George Anastas gives his tentative schedule and an overview of his plans for his President-elect visits during 2000-2001.
- Ray Johnson highlights the NRC workshop he attended on "Uses of Risk Information."
- CHP CORNER — Steve Rima details issues brought up and actions taken at the AAHP Executive Committee meeting that met at the HPS annual meeting in Denver.
- ADVERTISEMENTS — There are 4 ½ pages of display ads, 21 short courses offered, and 7 job offers.
To have your Chapter or Branch News, Committee Activities, Correspondence, Announcements, Section News, Short Courses, or Display Ads published in the Newsletter, contact Sharon Hebl at the Newsletter office—507-362-8958; fax: 507-362-4513; or email: email@example.com.