Health Physics News
Highlights of the 45-page online April 2013 issue of Health Physics News
- COVER — Bruce Napier reports on the National Council on Radiation Protection and Measurements (NCRP) 49th Annual Meeting, "Radiation Dose and the Impacts on Exposed Populations." Laura Atwell reports on the NCRP Business Meeting.
- FROM THE PRESIDENT — President Ansari wants to know your top radiation protection issues.
- SOCIETY NEWS
- Local Arrangements Chair Mike Lewandowski describes the social program for the 2013 HPS Annual Meeting in Madison.
- Lorraine Day talks about Baton Rouge, the location of the February 2014 midyear meeting and professional development school.
- INSIDE THE BELTWAY — David Connolly discusses the restriction of travel funds of government employees and contractors and what it means for the HPS.
- THE BOICE REPORT #11 — Boice Report #11 summarizes an international conference on radiation health risk management held in Fukushima City, Japan, in February 2013.
- COMMITTEE ACTIVITIES — Reports from the Public Information Committee, Rules Committee, Scientific and Public Issues Committee, Nanotechnology Committee, Professional Development School Committee, Membership Committee, and Ad Hoc Committee on Society Governance
- CHAPTER NEWS — Reports from the East Tennessee Chapter, the Northeastern New York Chapter, and the Greater New York Chapter
- HPS STANDARDS CORNER — The new ASC N13 standard on workplace air monitoring is now available.
- SECTION NEWS — Report from the Environmental/Radon Section
- IN MEMORIAM — Obituaries of Vern Shockley and Dennis W. Murphy
- MEMBER'S POINT OF VIEW — Scott Schwahn presents a comparison of NRC exempt quantities to state regulations.
- BOOKS OLD, OBSCURE, AND OUT OF DATE — Mark Maiello reviews Basic Radiation Biology, 2nd Edition, by Donald J. Pizzarello and Richard L. Witcofski
- RADIOLOGICAL PROTECTION AROUND THE GLOBE — Ted Lazo explains recent United Nations Scientific Committee on the Effects of Atomic Radiation statements regarding radiation detriment.
- RADIATION SAFETY PSYCHOLOGY — Ray Johnson presents "Errors We Make in Decisions for Radiation Safety—Part X."
- GETTING TO KNOW THE HPS — This month's interviewee is Vicki Hurst.
- CHP CORNER — Reports from the Nominating Committee and the Professional Standards and Ethics Committee
- OTHER NEWS
- Up and Coming in Health Physics
- Hearing Discusses Impacts of Travel Restrictions on Federal Scientists
- iPad® App for HPS Publications
- Radiation and Risk: Expert Perspectives
- FROM THE ARCHIVES — Ken and Blaire Mossman and balloon animals at the 1988 HPS Annual Meeting in Boston
- ADVERTISEMENTS — 5 display ads and 13 short courses are offered this month.
To have your Chapter or Branch News, Committee Activities, Correspondence, Announcements, Section News, Short Courses, Job Ads, or Display Ads published in Health Physics News, contact Sharon R. Hebl at the Health Physics News office: 507-362-4687, fax: 507-362-4977, or email: email@example.com.