Health Physics News
Highlights of the 33-page online December 2012 issue of Health Physics News
- COVER — Some Health Physics Society (HPS) members may not be aware of the relative roles of the American Academy of Health Physics (AAHP) and the HPS with regard to title protection. This month's cover story will provide information to HPS members with regard to the Title Protection/Professional Recognition Committee of the AAHP.
- HEALTH PHYSICS NEWS STAFF CHANGES — Beginning 1 January 2013, Mary Walchuk will be taking on most of the managing-editor functions of Health Physics News and will be the contact person for the newsletter.
- FROM THE PRESIDENT — Ansari gives readers some HPS updates.
- 2013 MIDYEAR MEETING AND PDS UPDATES
- THE BOICE REPORT #7 — This month's Boice Report highlights the Atomic Veterans Study meeting held 10–11 October 2012 at Vanderbilt University in Nashville, Tennessee.
- AGENCY NEWS — The NRC is sponsoring a National Academy of Sciences pilot of cancer risk in populations around six U.S. nuclear power plant sites and a nuclear fuel facility.
- NCRP — NCRP Report No. 172, Reference Levels and Achievable Doses in Medical and Dental Imaging: Recommendations for the United States, is available.
- MEMBER'S POINT OF VIEW — Ted Rockwell shares his view about the responsibilities of being a radiological protection expert.
- NOTES —
- The HPS 58th Annual Meeting will be held in Madison, Wisconsin, home of Frank Lloyd Wright. The site of the meeting, the Monona Terrace Convention Center, is a Frank Lloyd Wright design.
- The HPS News Cafe hit 5,000 likes. Kelly Classic updates readers on the HPS Facebook News Cafe.
- You can now view Health Physics News cartoonist Al Goodwyn's cartoons on the HPS website at hps.org/lighterside/.
- HPS online voting is underway. Polls close 14 December.
- COMMITTEE ACTIVITIES — The Membership Committee reminds readers that this is the last month of the Member-Get-a-Member Contest.
- BOOK REVIEW — This month Mark Maiello reviews Radioactivity and Its Measurement by Wilfrid Mann, Robert Ayers, and Samuel Garfinkel.
- IN MEMORIAM — Obituaries of S. Julian Gibbs and Richard D. Terry
- GETTING TO KNOW THE HPS — This month's interviewee is Hanna Moussa.
- RADIATION SAFETY PSYCHOLOGY — How Do We Make Decisions for Radiation Safety? – Part VI
- REAC/TS — This month Doran Christensen gives an overview of the REAC/TS Radiation Accident Registry.
- FROM THE ARCHIVES — Check out this month's photo of Ray Johnson and Paul Rohwer at the 1999 HPS meeting in Philadelphia.
- ADVERTISEMENTS — 5 display ads and 12 short courses are offered this month.
To have your Chapter or Branch News, Committee Activities, Correspondence, Announcements, Section News, Short Courses, Job Ads, or Display Ads published in Health Physics News, contact Sharon R. Hebl at the Health Physics News office: 507-362-4687, fax: 507-362-4977, or email: email@example.com.