Health Physics News
Highlights of the 43-page online August 2012 issue of Health Physics News
- COVER — Armin Ansari takes over as Health Physics Society (HPS) president at the HPS annual meeting in Sacramento. Read this month's cover story to find out more about President Ansari's background, some of his many ideas, and his plans to serve HPS members during his presidential year.
- INSIDE THE BELTWAY — David Connolly gives his opinion on the factors contributing to the appointment of Allison Macfarlane and the reappointment of Kristine Svinicki to the Nuclear Regulatory Commission.
- COMMENTARIES — Comments on the subject of the Society name change from Armin Ansari, Andrew Karam, and Mark Maiello.
- AGENCY NEWS — The U.S. Senate voted to confirm Allison Macfarlane and Kristine Svinicki as commissioners at the Nuclear Regulatory Commission.
- THE BOICE REPORT #3 — John Boice reports on the radiation and health conference hosted by the American Statistical Association 10–13 June in Kennebunkport, Maine.
- ANNOUNCEMENTS — Cynthia G. Jones named as NRC nuclear safety attaché at the U.S. Mission to International Organizations in Vienna, Austria.
- Barbara Hamrick appointed to National Academy of Sciences Fukushima review project.
- NOTES — Michael Grissom presents a draft technical program for the 2013 Health Physics Society Midyear Topical Meeting in Scottsdale, Arizona, 27–30 January.
- Nanoparticle workshop summary publication can be downloaded in PDF form free.
- Useful tips for using the Google search engine
- The HPS member directory is available on the HPS website.
- COMMITTEE ACTIVITIES — Bill Thomas, chair of the Continuing Education Committee, offers educational opportunities after HPS meetings.
- BOOKS OLD, OBSCURE, OR OUT OF DATE – A REVIEW — Mark Maiello reviews the 68-page Atomic Energy pamphlet in the Boy Scout merit-badge series.
- THE FIRST JAMES E. TURNER MEMORIAL SYMPOSIUM is highlighted in this month's newsletter.
- GETTING TO KNOW THE HPS — This month's interviewee is Thomas Johnson.
- RADIATION SAFETY PSYCHOLOGY — Ray Johnson continues this month with Part II of making decisions for radiation safety.
- REAC/TS — Doran Christensen and colleagues discuss the emergency medical services system response to an improvised nuclear device detonation.
- CHP CORNER — Robert N. Cherry receives the 2012 William A. McAdams Award.
- The AAHP Nominating Committee is looking for candidates to run for Academy office on the 2013 ballot.
- Members of the Professional Development Committee are encouraging and promoting certification.
- FROM THE ARCHIVES — Check out this month's photo from the 1992 HPS meeting in Columbus, Ohio.
- ADVERTISEMENTS — 6 display ads and 12 short courses are offered this month.
To have your Chapter or Branch News, Committee Activities, Correspondence, Announcements, Section News, Short Courses, Job Ads, or Display Ads published in Health Physics News, contact Sharon R. Hebl at the Health Physics News office: 507-362-4687, fax: 507-362-4977, or email: email@example.com.