Health Physics News
Highlights of the 41-page online July 2012 issue of Health Physics News
- COVER — The largest meeting of international radiation protection professionals – IRPA13 – was held in Glasgow, Scotland, the week of 14 May 2012. Our cover story this month highlights the technical sessions and the morning-to-night excitement that occurred during the meeting. Along with that, the first-ever IRPA Young Professionals Prize was awarded. This is an exciting cover story . . . don’t miss it!!
- FROM THE PRESIDENT — President Kathy Pryor reflects on her year as president of the Health Physics Society.
- INSIDE THE BELTWAY — In David Connolly's opinion, indications are that a group of senators is trying to come up with some solutions to problems associated with nuclear power and, in particular, waste disposal.
- THE BOICE REPORT #2 — John Boice reports on the 59th session of UNSCEAR, which was held in Vienna 20–25 May 2012.
- MEMBER’S POINT OF VIEW — John Poston Sr. gives his point of view concerning changing the name of the Health Physics Society.
- Glimpses of the 2012 HPS Annual Meeting Special Sessions
- 2012 HPS awards are announced.
- NCRP Report No. 169 is available.
- A listing of the HPS members who have achieved 25 years of service to the Society
- Prominent researcher and scientist Michael J. Welch dies.
- Technical report on controlling uranium is available.
- 24th annual meeting of the AMUG met in Las Vegas in April.
- Issuance of WM2013 call for abstracts – deadline is 17 August 2012.
- ICRP recognizes Keith Eckerman.
- Study of CT scanning of children was recently released.
- CHAPTER and SECTION NEWS
- IN MEMORIAM — Obituaries of Alden Newton "Al" Tschaeche and Donald Glenn Jacobs.
- GETTING TO KNOW THE HPS — This month's interviewee is Flavio Soares.
- RADIATION SAFETY PSYCHOLOGY — The subject of this month's article is "How Do We Make Decisions for Radiation Safety?"
- REAC/TS — This month's discussion deals with significant criticality incidents – Sarov (Arzamus-16) in Russia, 1997.
- CHP CORNER
- Glenn Sturchio encourages members to participate on the Part II examination panel.
- Daniel Mantooth explains the purpose of the Title Protection and Professional Recognition Committee.
- FROM THE ARCHIVES — In this first "From the Archives" column, we share a photo from the 1959 HPS meeting in Gatlinburg.
- ADVERTISEMENTS — 5 display ads and 10 short courses are offered this month.
To have your Chapter or Branch News, Committee Activities, Correspondence, Announcements, Section News, Short Courses, Job Ads, or Display Ads published in Health Physics News, contact Sharon R. Hebl at the Health Physics News office: 507-362-4687, fax: 507-362-4977, or email: email@example.com.