Health Physics News
Highlights of the 39-page online April 2012 issue of Health Physics News
- COVER — This month's cover story highlights the National Council on Radiation Protection and Measurements (NCRP) Forty-Eighth Annual Meeting: "Emerging Issues in Radiation Protection in Medicine, Emergency Response, and the Nuclear Fuel Cycle." This meeting was originally designed to focus attention on issues surrounding the increasing use of ionizing radiation in medicine and industry and possible adverse consequences from planned, accidental, and malicious uses. Just after the meeting topic was selected last year, the accident at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant led to a merger of the emergency-response and nuclear fuel-cycle topics.
- FROM THE PRESIDENT — Health Physics Society (HPS) President Kathy Pryor's message this month is on the importance of clear communication.
- NEW NCRP PRESIDENT JOHN BOICE introduces himself in an interview story and talks about his goals and the challenges he faces as the new NCRP president.
- INSIDE THE BELTWAY — David Connolly highlights a number of topics of interest to HPS members being discussed in Washington: the scholarship program aiding health physics students, a meeting of the working group on medical isotopes, presentations at the National Press Club, and discussions begun by committees in both the House and the Senate about the content of the recommendations of the Blue Ribbon Commission on America’s nuclear future.
- HPS MEMBER DUANE MCLANE lists a few of the Smart Phone apps available for health physicists.
- BOOKS OLD, OBSCURE, AND OUT OF DATE – A REVIEW — HPS member Mark L. Maiello reviews the book Stamps Tell the Story of Nuclear Energy.
- SACRAMENTO 2012 — Lots of things to see and do while you're attending the 2012 HPS Annual Meeting in Sacramento, and why you should stay at the conference hotel.
- TWO HPS POSITION STATEMENTS ARE ADOPTED.
- CHAPTER NEWS — Report from the Rio Grande Chapter.
- IN MEMORIAM — Obituaries of Brother Jerome Rademacher and Charles Edward Pietri.
- COMMITTEE ACTIVITIES — The HPS History Committee opens the archives.
- SECTION NEWS — Students submitting an abstract for the 2012 HPS Annual Meeting in Sacramento that addresses an accelerator-related topic will be considered for an award.
- GETTING TO KNOW THE HPS — The interviewee this month is Thomas Johnston.
- CHP CORNER — Reports from the Continuing Education and Nominating Committees.
- ODDS AND ENDS — This month, Paul Frame tells about the DR-299 Nucliometer.
- ADVERTISEMENTS — 6 display ads and 12 short courses are offered this month.
To have your Chapter or Branch News, Committee Activities, Correspondence, Announcements, Section News, Short Courses, Job Ads, or Display Ads published in Health Physics News, contact Sharon R. Hebl at the Health Physics News office: 507-362-4687, fax: 507-362-4977, or email: email@example.com.