Health Physics News
Highlights of the 43-page online January 2012 issue of Health Physics News
- COVER — This is the first issue of the online-only Health Physics News. This month's cover story presents a special focus on radioactive waste management as the Health Physics Society prepares for its midyear meeting in Dallas with the same focus. We offer four special articles on the issue—first, the feature article by Dr. David Dobson, a geologist with a long history of involvement with the Yucca Mountain Project. We also have articles by S.Y. Chen, Gregory Smith, and Scott Kirk.
- THE HPS EFFECT — Richard Vetter and Keith Dinger discuss the passing of the Medical Isotope Production Bill.
- INSIDE THE BELTWAY — David Connolly gives his view of the passing of the Medical Isotopes bill.
- ATE REACHES MILESTONE 10,000 — The ATE website feature has received many questions during the 12 years of its existence and recently reached a milestone when George Chabot answered question 10,000. Mary Walchuk interviewed ATE Editor Gen Roessler for her feelings about this milestone and Topic Editor George Chabot for his reflections on ATE.
- COMMITTEE ACTIVITIES
- It's time for the first call for HPS annual award nominations. Due date for nominations is 1 March 2012.
- The Nominating Committee is now accepting nominations for president-elect, treasurer-elect, and three members of the Board of Directors for 2013. Nominations close on 1 April 2012.
- New HPS Officers are named and will begin their terms in July 2012.
- Reopening of abstract submission for IRPA13 Glasgow
- INPO has prepared a special report on the accident at Fukushima Daiichi.
- 57th Annual Meeting of the Health Physics Society, 22-26 July 2012 in Sacramento, California
- American Chemical Society 2012 summer school
- Free online course: "Understanding Radiation"
- Obituaries of George J. Vargo, Jr., and William (Bill) C. Borden
- CHAPTER NEWS
- The Hoosier Chapter updates HPS members about its fall meeting.
- GETTING TO KNOW THE HPS — This month's interviewee is Linda M. Sewell, CHP.
- NCRP — Update on the 2012 NCRP Annual Meeting
- REAC/TS — The REAC/TS article this month deals with internal contamination with the actinides.
- CHP CORNER – The results of the 2011 ABHP Certification Exam are given.
- ODDS AND ENDS — Paul Frame tells about irradiated dimes.
- ADVERTISEMENTS — 8 display ads and 11 short courses are offered this month.
To have your Chapter or Branch News, Committee Activities, Correspondence, Announcements, Section News, Short Courses, Job Ads, or Display Ads published in Health Physics News, contact Sharon R. Hebl at the Health Physics News office: 507-362-4687, fax: 507-362-4977, or email: email@example.com.