Health Physics News
Highlights of the 28-page October 2011 issue of Health Physics News
- COVER — In this month's cover story, Mary Walchuk interviews Randall Scott, Kennedy Space Center radiation protection officer. He gives us a look at how he and other HPS members have been actively involved in the Mars Science Laboratory mission.
- PRESIDENT'S MESSAGE — This month, President Pryor focuses on the value of HPS membership.
- COMMITTEE, CHAPTER, AND SECTION REPORT POINTERS — Marcia Hartman (Society Operations Editor) and Fred Baes (Webmaster) give some pointers on the best way to submit reports for the HPS website.
- NOTES – Obituaries of Robert L. Fleischer, Anthony Clive James, and Kelly H. Austin.
- Joel Cehn shares a communication lesson from the Internet.
- The HPS has been evaluating the wisdom and practicality of providing electronic news for Society members. Web Ops Editor Howard Dickson explains the intent of Web Operations.
- Paul Stansbury and Ray Johnson review the CDC software "Psychological First Aid in Radiation Disasters, Release 2.0."
- Health Physics News Associate Editor James East explains what LinkedIn is all about.
- The next HPS meeting is in Sacramento. Mark your calendar, 22-26 July 2012.
- Darrell Fisher promotes the HPS Logo Store.
- Nuclear physicists at INL have developed an ABSS that has potential applications for health physicists.
- COMMITTEE ACTIVITIES — It's the fourth month of the Member-Get-a-Member Contest . . . continue to recruit new members.
- Martha Dibbee updates members on the new HPS Intersociety Relations Committee.
- AGENCY NEWS — The VARSKIN 4 is available free for all users through the RSICC.
- The NRC goes live on YouTube.
- HPS STANDARDS CORNER — Ken Swinth has resigned his role as overall advisor for TC85/SC2 – Jack Fix will be taking over this position.
- GETTING TO KNOW THE HPS — This month's interviewee is Jerry L. Gels, Professional Radiological Services.
- REAC/TS — This month's column deals with internal contamination with radioactive materials – radioiodine.
- CHP CORNER — Summaries of the 2011 AAHP Special Session by Paul Stansbury, the state of AAHP finances and the CHP salary survey by Andrew Thatcher, and an update of the Continuing Education Committee by Jim Willison.
- ODDS AND ENDS — Paul Frame tells about Herb Parker's free-air ion chamber.
- ADVERTISEMENTS — 7 display ads and 10 short courses are offered this month.
To have your Chapter or Branch News, Committee Activities, Correspondence, Announcements, Section News, Short Courses, Job Ads, or Display Ads published in Health Physics News, contact Sharon R. Hebl at the Health Physics News office: 507-362-8958, fax: 507-362-4513, or email: email@example.com.