Health Physics News
Highlights of the 28-page August 2011 issue of Health Physics News
- COVER — In the cover story this month, Kathy Pryor, the 56th president of the Health Physics Society, shares her vision for the HPS and invites members to get to know her.
- INSIDE THE BELTWAY — David Connolly talks about pools – swimming pools and cooling pools – and energy issues.
- THE HPS EFFECT — Congressional and Agency Liaison Richard Vetter points out the significance of the HPS president's visits with regard to safety culture
- AGENCY NEWS — The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency has released its updated Blue Book and has made it available on its website.
- CHAPTER NEWS — The HPS Baltimore-Washington Chapter held its annual meeting on 13 May 2011. Highlights of this meeting are included in this month's Health Physics News.
- HPS Greater New York Chapter held its spring conference on radiation dose, analysis, security, and decommissioning at West Point Military Acdemy 15 April 2011.
- IRPA13 — A new topic session on the Fukushima nuclear accident has been added to the IRPA13 program.
- Information about the technical visits offered during IRPA13 is available in this issue of the newsletter.
- The HPS IRPA13 delegates have been selected.
- HPS member Dr. Richard V. Osborne has been selected to receive the 2012 Sievert Award.
- COMMITTEE ACTIVITIES — HPS awards were formally presented at the awards reception and dinner at the annual meeting in West Palm Beach. Members receiving awards are listed in this month's newsletter.
- ANNUAL MEETING PHOTOS — We’ve included photos of some of the speakers and award recipients in this issue.
- GETTING TO KNOW THE HPS — This month's interviewee is Ninni Jacob, Rhode Island Hospital radiation safety officer.
- CHP CORNER — Activities from the Professional Development Committee, the 2011 William A. McAdams award winner, and the call for AAHP nominations are included in this month's CHP Corner.
- ODDS AND ENDS — Paul Frame tells about Degnen's radio-active eye applicator.
- ADVERTISEMENTS — 9 display ads and 13 short courses are offered this month.
To have your Chapter or Branch News, Committee Activities, Correspondence, Announcements, Section News, Short Courses, Job Ads, or Display Ads published in Health Physics News, contact Sharon R. Hebl at the Health Physics News office: 507-362-8958, fax: 507-362-4513, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.