Health Physics News
Highlights of the 32-page July 2011 issue of Health Physics News
- COVER — Epidemiologist John Boice and HPS Outreach Editor Kelly Classic were among the many HPS members who responded to media requests for expert information regarding the Fukushima crisis. In this month's cover story, they discuss their experiences and offer advice for others who are contacted as experts. Many other HPS members who interacted with the media and the public during this time share their experiences.
- INSIDE THE BELTWAY — Richard Vetter cowrites this month's column with David Connolly as they discuss the visit by HPS President Ed Maher to Washington, DC, agency and congressional offices.
- THE HPS EFFECT — This is a new column that will be published periodically to provide examples of the effect produced by HPS programs, leadership, and staff. This month, Richard Vetter explains how NRC Commissioner William Magwood knew about the HPS KI fact sheet.
- COMMITTEE ACTIVITIES — The Membership Committee announces that the 2011 Member-Get-a-Member Contest has begun.
- CORRESPONDENCE — Edward N. Lazo responds to HPS President Ed Maher's May President's Message.
- CHAPTER NEWS — Reports from the New Jersey Chapter and the North Central Chapter
- NOTES — U.S. Army Captain Jodi Santiago receives the Nuclear Medical Science Company Grade Officer of the Year Award.
- The obituary of Sydney W. Porter, Jr.
- Highlights of the 23rd Annual Meeting of the Air Monitoring Users Group
- NCRP — NCRP Reports Nos. 166 and 167 and NCRP Commentary No. 21.
- GETTING TO KNOW THE HPS — This month's interviewee is Gary Kramer, head of the National Internal Radiation Assessment Section, Radiation Protection Bureau, Health Canada.
- REACTS — Concerns for radiation injury in the United States, Part V
- CHP CORNER — Activities from the Title Protection and Professional Recognition Committee and the Part II Examination Panel.
- CHP Peter G. Bailey died on 29 May 2011.
- KEN MILLER has recently published all of his Elmer stories in the book Elmer and Me.
- ODDS AND ENDS — Paul Frame tells about a "fire extinguisher" (early 1960s).
- ADVERTISEMENTS — 7 display ads and 12 short courses are offered this month.
To have your Chapter or Branch News, Committee Activities, Correspondence, Announcements, Section News, Short Courses, Job Ads, or Display Ads published in Health Physics News, contact Sharon R. Hebl at the Health Physics News office: 507-362-8958, fax: 507-362-4513, or email: email@example.com.