Health Physics News
Highlights of the 32-page May 2011 issue of Health Physics News
- COVER — Thirty-six and a half years ago the Health Physics Society hired Dick Burk as the Society's executive director. Dick is now retiring and passing the Secretariat reins to his son, Brett. The Burks share with HPS members some thoughts and information on the continuing growth of the relationship between the HPS and BAI.
- FROM THE PRESIDENT — HPS President Ed Maher discusses the media coverage of Japan's earthquake, tsunami, and nuclear plant crisis.
- INSIDE THE BELTWAY — David Connolly discusses the importance of knowing the actual facts of the nuclear disaster in Japan.
- JUST ONE YEAR TO GO TO IRPA13 — The call for papers is now available.
- AGENCY NEWS — The NRC appoints task force members and approves charter for review of agency's response to Japan nuclear event.
- NCRP — The NCRP is actively advising U.S. federal and state agencies as they assist the Japanese government in response to the Fukushima nuclear reactor accident.
- COMMITTEE ACTIVITIES — The Membership Committee announces an opportunity to win one year of free membership in the Society by recruiting new members.
- HPS CARTOONIST AL GOODWYN — HPS cartoonist Al Goodwyn is competing in an online cartoon contest.
- REFLECTIONS OF AN OLD SCOUT – FOUNDERS OF THE HEALTH PHYSICS PROFESSION — Dade Moeller continues his series of remembrances of those people involved in the establishment of the health physics profession.
- CHAPTER NEWS — The New England Chapter of the HPS will be celebrating its 50th anniversary in May.
- NOTES — The 56th Annual HPS Meeting will be held in West Palm Beach, Florida, 26-30 June 2011.
- A special annual meeting session will be held regarding the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant in Japan.
- Obituary of Joseph A. Sayeg
- Debbie Bray Gilley discusses mobilizing radiation professional volunteers by working with the Medical Reserve Corps and the Radiation Response Volunteer Corps.
- ANNOUNCEMENTS — Coming soon to the HPS website will be the Online HPS Logo Store.
- GETTING TO KNOW THE HPS — This month's interviewee is Patrick Papin, professor of physics and associate dean for research at San Diego State University.
- REACTS — Claims of radiation injury in the United States in 2010
- CHP CORNER — The AAHP Special Session to be held at the 2011 HPS Annual Meeting in West Palm Beach, Florida.
- ODDS AND ENDS — Paul Frame tells about x-ray goggles (ca. 1930s).
- ADVERTISEMENTS — 6 display ads and 13 short courses are offered this month.
To have your Chapter or Branch News, Committee Activities, Correspondence, Announcements, Section News, Short Courses, Job Ads, or Display Ads published in Health Physics News, contact Sharon R. Hebl at the Health Physics News office: 507-362-8958, fax: 507-362-4513, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.