Health Physics News
Highlights of the 32-page January 2011 issue of Health Physics News
- COVER — John Till summarizes his participation in two public workshops sponsored by the NRC that addressed the issue of tritium releases to groundwater at several nuclear power plants. Till emphasizes the importance of building trust, credibility, and respect in environmental risk assessment.
- PRESIDENT'S MESSAGE — Ed Maher was invited to be a member of the Advisory Board for South Carolina State University and Orangeburg-Calhoun Technical College. Along the way, he visited HPS member John Till at his 1,000-acre farm.
- INSIDE THE BELTWAY — David Connolly introduces key leaders of the new Congress.
- HPS IS ON FACEBOOK!
- CHAPTER NEWS — Summaries of meetings from the North Central Chapter, the San Diego Chapter, and the Hoosier Chapter
- NATIONAL NUCLEAR SCIENCE WEEK — 24-28 January 2011
- COMMITTEE ACTIVITIES — Call for nominations of recipients of the Society’s awards
- Science Support Committee – Reaching out to science teachers
- Nominate a teacher for the Geoffrey G. Eichholz Outstanding Science Teacher Award. Last year's award winner, Shannon Hudson, describes how the award has made a difference in her life and in the lives of her future students.
- NCRP — NCRP releases Report No. 163, Radiation Dose Reconstruction: Principles and Practices.
- MARK MAIELLO summarizes the New York City Radiological Emergency Planning and Preparedness Third Annual Symposium.
- ICRP SYMPOSIUM on the International System of Radiological Protection will be held 24-26 October 2011.
- NOTES — Obituaries of Elaine Ron, Barbara Linn Reider, George Samuel Hurst, and Denis C. Smiley
- Image GentlyTM campaign focuses on need to "Pause and Pulse" in pediatric fluoroscopy.
- REAC/TS — This month's REAC/TS Registry article discusses the x-ray diffraction injuries in Brazil in 1995, Part II – Dosimetry.
- CHP CORNER — Results of the 2010 ABHP Certification Exam are announced.
- Call for 2011 McAdams Award Nominations
- ABHP Exam application reminder – must be postmarked no later than 15 January 2011.
- ODDS AND ENDS — Paul Frame discusses the graphite brick from CP-1.
- ADVERTISEMENTS — 6 display ads and 12 short courses are offered this month.
To have your Chapter or Branch News, Committee Activities, Correspondence, Announcements, Section News, Short Courses, Job Ads, or Display Ads published in Health Physics News, contact Sharon R. Hebl at the Health Physics News office: 507-362-8958, fax: 507-362-4513, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.