Health Physics News
Highlights of the 32-page October 2010 issue of Health Physics News
- COVER — Health Physics News writer Mary Walchuk interviewed Ted Lazo, chair of the International Radiation Protection Association (IRPA) International Congress Programme Committee, and along with IRPA13 President Roger Coates and Marketing and Publicity Coordinator Chris Perks, provided information to help other HPS members get ready to attend the largest gathering of radiation protection professionals in the world at the IRPA13 meeting 13-18 May 2010 in Glasgow, Scotland.
- FROM THE PRESIDENT – In HPS President Ed Maher's first President's Message, he lays out his road map of what his plans are for the Society for the next year.
- AGENCY NEWS – The NRC has confirmed the location and revised the date for an upcoming public meeting to solicit public input concerning the Draft Policy Statement on the Protection of Cesium-137 Chloride (CsCI) Sources.
- INSIDE THE BELTWAY — David Connolly discusses how health physicists can take an active part in keeping this country prepared against terror activity in the future.
- NNSA announces new name for Nevada Test Site.
- COMMITTEE ACTIVITIES – Members of the Membership Committee are excited to announce an HPS Member-Get-a-Member Contest.
- THE HP GENE — The HP Gene family this month is the Donakowskis – Tim and Joseph and maybe Lily.
- HPS STANDARDS CORNER — Accessibility to ANSI/HPS Standards on the LWW Health Physics Web page has been improved.
- BEAGLE DATA CONGRESS HELD 22-23 JULY 2010 in Richland, Washington
- CHAPTER NEWS — The San Diego Scouts explore the world of health physics at a Nuclear Science Merit Badge Workshop led by HPS San Diego Chapter member Dr. Eric Goldin.
- NOTES – Paul L. Ziemer is recognized for ABRWH leadership.
- Winners of the HPS Publications Booth books given away at the Salt Lake City HPS meeting are listed.
- Senior health physicist Colonel Mark Bower received the Order of Military Medical Merit Medallion.
- Make plans for the 2011 HPS Meeting in Palm Beach, Florida.
- ANNOUNCEMENTS – Tax deductible contributions can be made to the HPS.
- HPS supports National Radiation Protection Professionals Week 7-13 November.
- REAC/TS — This month's REAC/TS Registry article discusses an industrial irradiator fatality at Kjeller, Norway, in 1982.
- CHP NEWS — AAHP Past President Richard J. Vetter highlights the 2010 AAHP Special Session that was held at the 2010 HPS Annual Meeting.
- AAHP Treasurer Ray Johnson discusses the AAHP finances and the FY2010/2011 operating budget.
- ODDS AND ENDS — Paul Frame discusses ionic charger (mid-1960s).
- ADVERTISEMENTS — 6 display ads and 12 short courses are offered this month.
To have your Chapter or Branch News, Committee Activities, Correspondence, Announcements, Section News, Short Courses, Job Ads, or Display Ads published in Health Physics News, contact Sharon R. Hebl at the Health Physics News office: 507-362-8958, fax: 507-362-4513, or email: email@example.com.