Health Physics News
Highlights of the 32-page September 2010 issue of Health Physics News
- COVER — Health Physics News writer Mary Walchuk interviews new HPS President Ed Maher as he shares with HPS members his journey through health physics and his plans to give back to what has served him.
- INSIDE THE BELTWAY — David Connolly talks about the nation’s energy policy.
- EDITORIAL — Mark Miller and Jim Hylko suggest that the oil industry can learn about handling a catastrophe from the nuclear industry.
- PALM BEACH 2011 — Reserve the date 26-30 June for the 56th HPS Annual Meeting.
- IS IT AN EVENT OR AN INCIDENT? — John Lanza explains the differences between an incident and an event.
- TRAINING AT Y-12 — Andy Karam shares his experience attending a three-day Alarm Response Training course in Oak Ridge.
- JOINING THE MEDICAL RESERVE CORPS — Mark Maiello encourages HPS members to join the MRC.
- BOOK REVIEW — Geoffrey Eichholz reviews The Radiance of France: Nuclear Power and National Identity after World War II, by Gabrielle Hecht.
- ELDA E. ANDERSON AWARD SPEECH — Elda E. Anderson Award winner Derek Jokisch shares his award acceptance speech with readers.
- THE HP GENE — The HP Gene family this month is the Bairs – Dr. William J. Bair and son, Bill.
- COMMITTEE ACTIVITIES — Members of the History Committee have revised the Society Heritage Web page, adding many links, phone numbers, and email addresses.
- AGENCY NEWS — NRC awards curricula development grants.
- ANNUAL MEETING PHOTOS
- REFLECTIONS OF AN OLD SCOUT — Dade Moeller writes the first in a series of articles that will appear in Health Physics News about his interactions with interesting personalities.
- REAC/TS — This month’s REAC/TS Registry article discusses cytogenetic biodosimetry for dose estimation – Goiânia, Brazil, September 1987, Part III.
- CHP NEWS — Highlights of the Continuing Education Committee Activities and other stuff
- ODDS AND ENDS — Paul Frame discusses a brain probe (ca. early 1950s).
- ADVERTISEMENTS — 7 display ads and 14 short courses are offered this month.
To have your Chapter or Branch News, Committee Activities, Correspondence, Announcements, Section News, Short Courses, Job Ads, or Display Ads published in Health Physics News, contact Sharon R. Hebl at the Health Physics News office: 507-362-8958, fax: 507-362-4513, or email: email@example.com.