Health Physics News
Highlights of the 32-page full-color April 2010 issue of Health Physics News.
- COVER — HPS members Bill Field and Jan Johnson have played a large role in raising awareness about radon. They share information about the importance of the information in the WHO Handbook on Indoor Radon: A Public Health Perspective and the Health Physics Society's indoor radon position statement.
- PRESIDENT'S MESSAGE — HPS President Howard Dickson continues discussion on whole-body scanning.
- INSIDE THE BELTWAY — David Connolly discusses cuts in the science budget.
- A DOZEN HPS MIDYEAR MEETING SPEAKERS present their opinions of the most important lessons learned based on the 27/9/3 template introduced by Vincent Covello.
- VINCENT COVELLO presents the 77 questions commonly asked by journalists during an emergency crisis.
- NOTES — The obituary of Frank Haughey.
- COMMITTEE ACTIVITIES — Science Support Committee reports from Mike Lewandowski and Thomas P. Johnston discuss science teacher workshops and supporting your local science fair.
- SECTION NEWS — Accelerator Section Nomination and Elections Committee members announce the section nominees for the 2010 election.
- CORRESPONDENCE — Chris Miles makes a general comment regarding greenhouse gas emissions.
- ANNOUNCEMENTS — The International Conference on Radiation Protection in Medicine will be held in September in Bulgaria.
- The 22nd Annual AMUG Meeting will be held 4-7 May in Las Vegas.
- The 47th Annual NCRP 2011 Meeting will be held 7-8 March 2011 in Bethesda.
- HPS members are invited to listen to America's Choir when attending the HPS meeting in Salt Lake City.
- The HPS PDS will be held 23-26 June at Idaho State University in Pocatello, Idaho.
- BOOK REVIEW — Timothy DeVol reviews the book The Health Physics Solutions Manual: Introduction to Health Physics Problems Made Easy.
- NCRP — Dave Myers provides information about NCRP Report No. 162, Self Assessment of Radiation-Safety Programs.
- Charles E. Land gives the 34th L.S. Taylor Lecture at 2010 NCRP Meeting.
- REAC/TS — This month's REAC/TS Registry article discusses medical management of criticality accident victims: Then and Now Part I.
- CHP CORNER — Updates from the Nominating Committee and Continuing Education Committee.
- ODDS AND ENDS — This month Paul Frame discusses "Authentic" atomic bomb test goggles.
- ADVERTISEMENTS — 16 display ads and 13 short courses are offered this month.
To have your Chapter or Branch News, Committee Activities, Correspondence, Announcements, Section News, Short Courses, Job Ads, or Display Ads published in Health Physics News, contact Sharon R. Hebl at the Health Physics News office: 507-362-8958, fax: 507-362-4513, or email: email@example.com.