Health Physics News
Highlights of the 32-page June 2009 issue of Health Physics News that includes the CHP News insert
- COVER — The NCRP Forty-Fifth Annual Meeting was held 2-3 March 2009 in Bethesda, Maryland. This month's cover story highlights the meeting.
- PRESIDENT'S MESSAGE — President Dick Toohey thinks the time is right to initiate some serious strategy.
- INSIDE THE BELTWAY — David Connolly summarizes the "education" part of lobbying.
- GOVERNMENT RELATIONS LIAISON KEITH DINGER expands on David Connolly's article and tells about HPS interaction with congressional and federal agency staffing regarding medical isotope production.
- RICHARD V. OSBORNE outlines the new recommendations of the ICRP (International Commission on Radiological Protection), published in 2008. Dr. Osborne was a member of a Nuclear Energy Agency expert group that reviewed the new recommendations of the ICRP.
- AGENCY NEWS — The NRC seeks public comment on regulatory issues and options for potential changes to the agency's radiation protection regulations.
- CORRESPONDENCE — Mark Miller joins in on the discussion of health physics advocacy.
- NOTES — The Local Arrangements Committee for the HPS annual meeting in Minneapolis welcomes you to take part in the events that will be available at the meeting 12-16 July.
- The National Security Administration recognizes the University of Pennsylvania and the city of Philadelphia for their national security leadership.
- The obituary of James E. Watson, Jr.
- Mark Maiello asks whether it is springtime for nuclear power or a lingering "nuclear winter."
- CHAPTER NEWS — The Central Rocky Mountain Chapter held a technical meeting jointly with the Colorado State University Student Branch in April.
- The North Central Chapter spring meeting was held 17 April in LaCrosse, Wisconsin.
- COMMITTEE ACTIVITIES — The Membership Committee welcomes 269 new HPS members.
- The 2009 HPS special election is closed and the votes have been tallied.
- Mark Radonich, a member of the AHCCO, invites HPS members to develop an improved and widespread "common sense" regarding radiation science.
- ODDS AND ENDS — This month, Paul Frame talks about the Lind Electroscope.
- ADVERTISEMENTS — 10 display ads and 13 short courses are offered this month.
To have your Chapter or Branch News, Committee Activities, Correspondence, Announcements, Section News, Short Courses, Job Ads, or Display Ads published in Health Physics News, contact Sharon R. Hebl at the Health Physics News office: 507-362-8958, fax: 507-362-4513, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.