Health Physics News
Highlights of the 32-page May 2009 issue of Health Physics News
- COVER — HPS Past President Ken Kase chaired the committee that wrote NCRP Report No. 160, an update of the 1987 NCRP Report No. 93, Ionizing Radiation Exposure of the Population of the United States. He explains the significance the report holds for health physicists and members of the medical community and the general public.
- PRESIDENT'S MESSAGE — President Dick Toohey talks about responding to a letter from an obstetrician concerning radiation risk.
- INSIDE THE BELTWAY — David Connolly summarizes an NRC proceeding at which HPS President Richard Toohey and others presented testimony on the need for federal financial aid to the health physics profession.
- CORRESPONDENCE — John Rodgers responds to Toohey and Cox regarding health physicist advocacy.
- Morgan Cox gives a quick response to John Rodgers.
- COMMENTARY — Mark Maiello's commentary, also in response to Toohey and Cox, suggests that an open endorsement of nuclear power may be detrimental to the HPS.
- Dick Toohey explains that he is interested in saying that radiation doses from nuclear power are "safe."
- ADDENDUM — Dade Moeller and Casper Sun discover an error in their "Thinking Outside the Box" article that ran in the April issue of Health Physics News. Their conclusions with regard to risks of lung cancer due to cigarettes (deposition of 210Po in the lungs) remains the same.
- ELMER AND THE BIRD'S NEST — A story written by Ken Miller.
- CHAPTER NEWS — Kevin Nelson explains the Chapter Volunteer Award.
- The Delaware Valley Society for Radiation Safety marks its 50th anniversary at the Mütter Museum.
- COMMITTEE ACTIVITIES — The Science Support Committee has a few new surprises on the Teacher Gateway (http://hps.org/sciencesupport).
- Membership Committee member Sharon Dossett explains the need for the HPS sponsorship letter new applicants are required to submit.
- NOTES — Things to do at the 2009 HPS Annual Meeting 12-16 July in Minnesota
- AMUG meeting 5-7 May 2009
- Obituaries of Herman Cember and Patricia Durbin
- At press time, it was learned that James E. Watson, Jr., died.
- REAC/TS — The criteria for submitting cases in the REAC/TS Radiation Accident Registry
- HPS STANDARDS CORNER — Status of ANSI N42.HSI for Homeland Security Instrumentation
- CHP CORNER — Members are updated on the Professional Development Committee activities, continuing education, and the AAHP Special Session to be held at the HPS annual meeting in Minneapolis this summer.
- ODDS AND ENDS — This month's column describes the Squibb "Technetope" 99mTc Generator (1967).
- ADVERTISEMENTS — 10 display ads and 13 short courses are offered this month.
To have your Chapter or Branch News, Committee Activities, Correspondence, Announcements, Section News, Short Courses, Job Ads, or Display Ads published in Health Physics News, contact Sharon R. Hebl at the Health Physics News office: 507-362-8958, fax: 507-362-4513, or email: email@example.com.