Health Physics News
Highlights of the 32-page February 2009 issue of Health Physics News, which includes an HPS Standards Corner Insert
- COVER — The 2009 NCRP Annual Meeting will be held 2-3 March in Bethesda, Maryland. Thomas Tenforde and Michael Corradini wrote this month's cover story and give the focus of this year's meeting: "Future of Nuclear Power Worldwide—Safety, Health and Environment." See www.NCRPonline.org.
- PRESIDENT'S MESSAGE — The president's message this month discusses whether the Health Physics Society should advocate or not advocate for any particular technology.
- INSIDE THE BELTWAY — David Connolly muses about new Department of Energy Secretary Steven Chu.
- TREASURER'S REPORT — HPS Treasurer Darrell Fisher summarizes the HPS financial situation.
- COMMENTARY — Mark Maiello gives a different perspective of the Star Trek movies.
- CHAPTER AND BRANCH NEWS — The Purdue University Student Branch held an end-of-semester Christmas party.
- CORRESPONDENCE — Arthur Desrosiers comments about a recent "Inside the Beltway" article and HPS President Dick Toohey responds.
- NEW HPS OFFICERS AND BOARD MEMBERS ARE INTRODUCED TO READERS.
- ON TO IRPA 13 — Ted Lazo, Chair of the International Congress Programme Committee for IRPA 13, encourages HPS members to continue their enthusiasm for international affairs by engaging in the preparations for IRPA 13 in Glasgow, Scotland, 13-18 May 2012.
- NOTES — Carmine M. Plott was honored as the 2008 Reeves-Rousseau Memorial Lecturer.
- What are deviable and nondeviable radiations? Read how George Chabot answered an ATE question dealing with this subject.
- The obituary of James E. Turner
- COMMITTEE ACTIVITIES — The Nominating Committee is accepting nominations for officers for 2010.
- The Awards Committee is accepting nominations for Society awardees.
- ANNOUNCEMENTS — The ANSI Committee 42 is looking for a committee chair.
- An ALARA workshop will be held at the Hanford site, 4-5 August 2009.
- An AGU meeting will be held in May in Toronto.
- "SO HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT . . ." — Toohey and Karam share an article and use a different take on talking about radiation effects.
- REAC/TS — The third article on internal contamination with radioactive materials.
- CHP CORNER — Call for 2009 McAdams Award nominations
- Part I Panel of Examiners activities
- Continuing Education Committee activities
- ODDS AND ENDS — This month's Archives article is about the Man Made Monster movie.
- ADVERTISEMENTS — 14 display ads and 12 short courses are offered this month.
To have your Chapter or Branch News, Committee Activities, Correspondence, Announcements, Section News, Short Courses, Job Ads, or Display Ads published in Health Physics News, contact Sharon R. Hebl at the Health Physics News office: 507-362-8958, fax: 507-362-4513, or email: email@example.com.