Health Physics News
Highlights of the 32-page November 2008 issue of Health Physics News:
- COVER — The 2009 HPS Midyear Meeting will be held 31 January-3 February at San Antonio's Henry B. Gonzalez Convention Center. Several HPS members share why they are attending and why they think the topic and venue will encourage others to attend.
- PRESIDENT'S MESSAGE — HPS President Dick Toohey gives his thoughts on creating a team environment.
- INSIDE THE BELTWAY — David Connolly continues his discussion of history-making events in this year's Presidential race.
- AGENCY NEWS — Notification of the next phase of waiver terminations in the implementation of NRC regulatory authority for certain naturally occurring and accelerator-produced radioactive material
- BOOK REVIEW — Eric Abelquist reviews the book Beyond Fossil Fools: The Roadmap to Energy Independence by 2040, written by Joseph M. Shuster.
- COMMENTARY — Professor Klaus E. Duftschmid has further comments on the LNT commentary.
- THE RESURGENCE OF NUCLEAR POWER — The third in a series that will explore the various sectors of nuclear power
- NCRP — NCRP releases Report No. 158.
- The 2009 Annual NCRP Meeting will be held 2-3 March in Bethesda, Maryland.
- COMMITTEE ACTIVITIES — The Membership Committee welcomes 196 new HPS members.
- HPS President-elect Howard Dickson is asking for nominations for members to serve on a committee.
- NOTES — The third in a series of articles regarding the 2009 HPS Midyear Meeting in San Antonio
- John Lanza presents the third article discussing the health and medical physicist's role in local disaster preparedness and response.
- HPS and CRCPD proclaim 2-8 November 2008 as National Radiation Protection Professionals Week.
- The obituary of Harold V. Larson
- REAC/TS — This month Part III of the Felonious Use of Radioactive Sources
- CHP CORNER — The Joyce P. Davis Memorial Award was presented to Howard W. Dickson.
- Parliamentarian David Myers gives an update from the Parliamentarian's Corner.
- Paul Rohwer reports on the Professional Standards and Ethics Committee.
- Larry Sanders thanks this year's exam site volunteers.
- ODDS AND ENDS — This month's Archives article is about radioluminescent buttons.
- ADVERTISEMENTS — 12 display ads and 10 short courses are offered this month.
To have your Chapter or Branch News, Committee Activities, Correspondence, Announcements, Section News, Short Courses, Job Ads, or Display Ads published in Health Physics News, contact Sharon R. Hebl at the Health Physics News office: 507-362-8958, fax: 507-362-4513, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.