Health Physics Techncian, Radiation Safety and HSSE Professional
Abubakr Mohamed Helal Mohamed
Cell : +966503696607
Nationality : Egyptian.
Analytical, and self-directed professional, with more than 11 years of experience in creating & managing programs and reducing workplace risks while promoting regulatory compliance. Proficient in improving overall quality of services by developing, implementing and monitoring HSE system including Radiation Safety Systems,
consistent with HSE policy, and set-up benchmarks for growth. Proven record of collaborating with cross functional teams, improving procedures and processes, aligning corporate focus and meeting standards; address workplace safety issues; resolve potential problems and deliver training to mitigate on-the-job risks. Flexible to
diverse circumstances due to broad involvement and technical savvy in multi-cultural atmosphere. Participated in monitoring & controlling HSE standards and applicable legislation and regulations.
2017 up to date. Lead HSSE Engineer, Radiation Safety Specialist / Officer, CHQCEC, FLUOR-MAADEN
Phosphate Project, Turaif, KSA.
2014 – 2017 HSE Section Head, Radiation Safety Officer, Qaryan Steel Co, Dammam, KSA.
2013 – 2014 HSE Engineer, Radiation Safety Supervisor, Health Physics Est., Riyadh, KSA.
2010 – 2013 HSE Engineer, Radiation Safety Officer, Int’l Radiation Technology, Riyadh, KSA.
2007 – 2009 First Lieutenant, Air Defensive Forces, Egyptian Armed Forces, Egypt.
2006 – 2010 NORM Research Assistant, Faculty of Science, Physics Dept., Al Azhar University, Egypt.
- Bachelor of Science in Major Physics, Faculty of Science, Sohag University, 2006, Egypt.
- Post Graduate Diploma, Nuclear and Radiation Physics, Faculty of Science, Al Azhar University, 2008,
- Post Graduate Diploma in Petrochemical Process Safety and Engineering Safety, Green World Group,
Personal Skills and Competences
- Communication Skills.
- Business Development Skills.
- Coaching and Counselling.
- Leading Teams.
- Incident and Accident Investigations.
- Management of Change.
Projects and Achievements
- Construction, Pre-Commissioning, Commissioning and Operation of Petrochemical Project (MAADEN
- Construction, Pre-Commissioning, Commissioning and Operation of Steel Plant.
- Achieved Operational Environmental Protection License from GAME in 2017.
- Achieved Fixed Nuclear Gauging Practice License from KACARE in 2017.
- Achieved Constructional Environmental Protection License from PME in 2016.
- Achieved Fixed Nuclear Gauging Practice License from KACARE in 2015.
- Achieved Personal Radiation Dosimetry Practice License from KACARE in 2014.
- Achieved Industrial Radiography Practice License from KACARE in 2014.
- Achieved Safe Transportation of Radioactive Materials Practice License from KACST in 2014.
- Achieved Safe Transportation of Radioactive Materials Practice License from KACST in 2013.
Roles and Responsibilities
Site Radiation Safety Management
- Liaise with the National Radiation Protection Regulatory Body with regard of Licensing
Requirements including Importing and Exporting of Radiation Sources.
- Preparing of all Radiation Protection Documents such as Radiation Protection Procedures, Safe
Transportation of Radiation Sources, and Operational Procedures for Nuclear Gauging, Emergency
Response Plan, Method Statement, and Job Safety Analysis required for Installing 30 Gamma
Radiation Sources in the Beneficiation Plant.
- Conducting Radiation Safety Training Sessions for Fixed Nuclear Gauges user for team prior to
starting the Installation Process of the Radiation Sources.
- Setting the Radiation Doses for all the Nuclear Gauges (30 Gamma Radiation Sources and all X-rays
Generators?? and confirmed that it’s below the public limits as per National Regulations.
- Prepare and review all technical aspects and procedures of radiation protection program (RPP)
including the Emergency Response Plan (ERP), Quality Assurance Program (QAP), and code of
- Working according to local rules of radiation protection and guidance to reduce the occupational and
public Exposures, and confirming that all the incurred doses are less than the public doses.
- Preparing the Schedules and technical plans for training and retraining of the operators of the
radiation sources, so as to protect them and other workers against the ionizing radiation in order for
protecting them from the radiation hazards during the sources handling, transportation, installation,
dismantling, electrical, or mechanical maintenance or in storing.
- Cooperating with the EPC HSE Director and Client Principle RSO and present to them all related
radiation protection matters including proper operation of radiological health surveillance, and
personnel radiation doses assessment program.
- Preparing the annual radiation protection evaluation report to check the safety procedures
implemented against the ionizing radiation, and for the security of the radiation sources to ensure
fulfilling the National Regulatory Body Requirements (KACARE).
- Promptly Responding and moving to the radiation accident scene in case of any radiation accident
happened to any of the radiation sources or in any of the installation points, and able to follow all the
Radiation Emergency Procedures and do the emergency plan actions along with all suitable radiation
protection and measurement tools to avoid any unnecessary or over exposure dose.
- Manage all site Radiation Measurements, NORMS from Phosphate Ore, and preparing weekly,
Monthly Inspection Reports.
Site Occupational Health and Safety Management
- Ensure the EPC sub-contractors develop implement and maintain a specific project Risk Management Plan
- Ensure EPC subcontractor selection (ITB) processes are developed and implemented on a timely basis in accordance with PMC and Client expectations.
- Provide advice and guidance to the EPC sub-contractors management team on HSE issues through the interpretation of PMC and Client policies and statutory requirements.
- Ensure EPC sub-contractors establish and maintain statistical data concerning all matters of health and safety, training programs with which to provide a basis for development of further health and safety activities, to highlight trends for future action.
- Monitor compliance with all National legislative requirements including the dissemination of information to PMC and EPC managers and employees regarding amendments/ additions to requirements as they come into effect.
- Review EPC sub-contractors Safety Management System and advise of required changes.
- Develop and maintain professional relationships with Client and PMC, regulatory bodies.
- Visit the project site on a regular basis to ensure interest and awareness of HSE is maintained, conduct
regular safety talks and safety training sessions relative to the nature of activities being undertaken.
- Pro-actively visit site and with the EPC sub-contractors implement safety measures-promote/ensure safe
- Ensure quality safety observation program is implemented and maintained on each site/project and ensure
follow up on findings
- Assist EPC sub-contractors construction management personnel in identifying hazards and in planning and
organising the work such that a safe working environment is maintained.
- Assist EPC sub-contractor Safety advisors and site management in the development and revision of specific
site safety programmes.
- Maintain a HS&E audit and assessment program for the location.
- Carry out regular inspections of the work areas with the respective EPC sub-contractor line manager and
or HSE representative and prepare reports.
- Disseminate safety information throughout the workplace via bulletin boards, posters, newsletters etc.
- Assist EPC sub-contractor line management and or construction supervisors in accident investigation
process and report accordingly.
- Develop and implement safety initiatives to continually improve, achieve and maintain stated safety
performance and objectives.
- Ensure HSE safety inductions are undertaken in accordance with the EPC sub-contractor SMS
requirements for all new employees of the workplace.
- Monitor the availability and use of safety apparel and equipment.
- Provide advice to the EPC subcontractor supervision on the development of project specific procedures
and Job Safety Analysis (JSA) training,
- Advise subcontractor supervisory staff and employees in the implementation of strategies to identify and
control potential hazards and in the use of the hierarchy of controls
- Ensure all lines of communication on HSE-matters remain open and effective between all parties
particularly Client, PMC, and EPC sub-contractors.
Site Environmental Protection Management
- Prepare, review, and update environmental investigation reports.
- Design projects leading to environmental protection, such as water reclamation facilities, air
pollution control systems, and waste management.
- Obtain, update, and maintain plans, permits, and standard operating procedures.
- Provide technical support for environmental remediation projects and legal actions.
- Monitor progress of environmental improvement programs.
- Inspect industrial and municipal facilities and programs to ensure compliance with environmental
- Advise sub-contractors about procedures for cleaning up contaminated sites.
- Running campaigns for environmental awareness.
- Inspecting the workers welfare facilities.
- Ensuring compliance with all applicable, local and international environmental laws, rules and
- Preparing daily, weekly and monthly environmental reports.
- Coordinating environmental issues and concerns with PMC and client.
- Preparing environmental incident reports, in case if there is any.
Subcontractors Relations, Negotiation and Contracts
- Source, negotiate contracts and secure third party services for training, HSE signage, advanced first aid.
- Pre-qualify construction contractors, issue documentation (RFPs, RFQs) and allocate risk ratings based
on HSE Metrics and Statistics.
Safety Training and Compliance
- Lead and deliver training programs or seminars in Safety Documentation, Fall Awareness, Flagging, and
- Incident Management, Substance Abuse & Claims Management
- Oversee and control safety procedures, policies, plans and programs pertaining to PPE, JHA, PHA, SIL,
SOP, Confined Space, Fall Arrest, Flagging and Spill Containment.
- Create, customize, develop, implement, track and update HSE MS at office and field sites
- Track performance and ensure site activities, environmental monitoring (municipal & provincial) and
- Comply fully with OH&S & company guidelines.
- Certified Nuclear Gauging Radiation Safety Officer, KACARE. KSA
- Certified RAM Transportation Radiation Safety Officer, KACARE. KSA
- Certified RAM Transportation Radiation Safety Officer, KACST, KSA
- Certified Radiological Emergency Manager, FEMA USA.
- Certified IOSH Managing Safely, IOSH, UK.
- Certified OSHA 30 General Industry, OSHA, USA.
- Certified OSHA 30 General Construction, OSHA, USA.
- Certified Platinum Emergency and Disaster Manager, OSHA.
- Certified Emergency First Responder, IAEA, AU.
- Certified First Aider, SRC, KSA.
- Certified Environmental Specialist, USA.
- IASP Certified Safety Manager and Trainer, USA.
- EMS 14001 Certified Lead Auditor, IRCA, UK
- Train of Trainers Level 3 High Field, UK.
- NEBOSH IGC (GC3-Passed, IGC1 and IGC2 in Progress).
Experience and Appreciation Certifications
- Certificate of Appreciation from China Huanqiu Contracting & Engineering Corporation (CHQC), for
contribution of achieving ????0 Milion Man Hour’s without Loss Time Injury ??LTI???? with Fluor Arabian
and Ma’aden Mining Company, Feb, 2017.
- Certificate of Appreciation from China Huanqiu Contracting & Engineering Corporation (CHQC), for
contribution of achieving ??Installation and Calibration of ??0 Cs-137 Radiation Sources (nuclear gauging
devices safely and accurately???? with Fluor Arabian and Ma’aden Mining Company, April, 2017.
- Experience Certificate for taking the role of Health Safety Environmental Section Head and Radiation
Protection Officer from Al Qaryan Steel Company, AQS Plant. March 2017.
- Experience Certificate for taking the role of Health Safety Environmental and Radiation Safety
Supervisor from Health Physics Establishment, HPE, October 2014.
- Experience and Service Certificate from Egyptian Army-(Egyptian Air Defence Forces) as a First
Lieutenant (Compatible to Safety and Security Officer), Sep 2009.
Health Safety Environment and Radiation Safety Training Courses
- Safe Work Permit, Maaden Waad Al Shamal Phosphate Company, MWSPC.
- Confined Space Entry, Gas Testing, and Stand By Man, Maaden Waad Al Shamal Phosphate Company,
MWSPC. Hot Work Permit, Maaden Waad Al Shamal Phosphate Company, MWSPC. Job Safety Analysis,
Hazard Identification, and Management of Change (JSA, HAZID, and MOC), Maaden Waad Al Shamal
Phosphate Company, MWSPC.
- Log Out, Tag Out, and Try Out (LTT), Maaden Waad Al Shamal Phosphate Company, MWSPC.
- Hazard Identification and Hazard Operation.
- Requirement for ISO 9001: 2015, Tuv Nord, Saudi Arabia
- Requirements for OSHAS 18001, OSHA Middle East, 2016.
- Requirements for ISO 9001: 2008, OSHA Middle East, 2016.
- Requirements for ISO 14001: 2008, OSHA Middle East, 2016.
- Requirements of Safety Training Methods, OSHA Middle East, 2016.
- Safety Self-Inspections, OSHA Middle East, 2016.
- Safety Management System Evaluation, OSHA Middle East, 2016.
- Requirements of Safety Reports and Forms, OSHA Middle East, 2016.
- Requirements of Effective Safety Committee Meetings, OSHA Middle East, 2016.
- Implementation of Work Permit Systems, OSHA Middle East, 2016.
- Requirements of Accidents and Investigations Reports, OSHA Middle East, 2016.
- Requirements of Safety and Health Programs, OSHA Middle East, 2016.
- Hazard Identification and Hazard Analysis (HAZID), OSHA Middle East, 2016.
- Implementation of SMS Systems, OSHA Middle East, 2016.
- Safety Management Diploma, OSHA Middle East, 2016.
- Platinum Certificate in Emergency and Disaster Management, OSHA Middle East, 2016.
- OSHA 30-Hour Construction Industry, OSHA Middle East, 2016.
- OSHA 30-Hour General Industry, OSHA Middle East, 2016.
- IAEA’s eLearning Course for Radiological Emergency First Responders, IAEA, 2016.
- NEBOSH IGC Training Course, Green W Group, 2016
- IOSH (Managing Safely) Training Course, Green W Group, 2016
- Risk Assessment Training Course, High Speed Training, 2016
- Fire Safety Training Course, Virtual College, 2016
- An Overview of COSHH V3, Virtual College, 2015
- Industrial Hygiene Basic Course, 360.Training, 2015
- Radiological Emergency Management Course, FEMA, 2015
- GHS and OSHA Hazardous Communication, 360.Training, 2015
- CPR Certificate, Saudi Red Crescent, 2015
- NORM Awareness for Upstream Oil and Gas Operations, Safety Skills (IACET), 2015
- Natural Occurring Radioactive Materials (NORM), Target Safety Services, 2015
- Natural Occurring Radioactive Materials Awareness, Access Safety Training, 2015
- Health Physics Training Online Course, Colorado State University, 2014
- Radiation Protection for Nuclear Gauges Operators, Technology Experts, 2014
- Class for RPO Portable Nuclear Gauges, US APNGA, 2014
- Principles and Understanding of Risk Assessment Training Cert, KACST with US EPA, 2012
- Saudi International Environmental Technology Conference Attendance Cert, KACST with US EPA, 2012.
- Qualification for Radiation Protection Officers, Technology Expert, 2010.
- OSHA 30-Hour Construction Industry, EHS Academy, 2010
- Principle Radiation Protection Training, EAEA, 2009.
- Board Member of International Collaboration Committee in Health Physics Society ICC HPS, USA
- Associated Member of the Health Physics Society, USA.
- Affiliate Member of Institute of Occupational Safety and Health, UK.
- Associate Member of the Egyptian Syndicate for scientific professions. EG.
- Associate Member in the Arab Radiation Protection Association (ARPA). SR.
Conferences and Workshops
The Saudi International Environmental Technology Conference 2012, in Riyadh, KSA.
NORM and Natural Radiation Management Middle East Conference 2014, in Abu Dhabi, UAE.
NORM and Natural Radiation Management Middle East Conference 2016, in Abu Dhabi, UAE.
NORM and Natural Radiation Management Middle East Conference 2017, in Abu Dhabi, UAE.
Workshop on ??Principles and Understanding of Risk Assessment Training Course??, during the Saudi International
Environmental Technology Conference 2012 in Riyadh, KSA.
Workshop on ??Occupational Health and Safety Training ??during the NORM and Natural Radiation Management
Middle East Conference 2014, in Abu Dhabi, UAE.
5- Participated as a Speaker on the Workshop of ??Occupational Health and Safety Training ??during the NORM and
Natural Radiation Management Middle East Conference 2014, in Abu Dhabi, UAE to present the following topics:
- Monitoring Contamination and Preventing the Spread of NORM in Oil and Gas Industry.
- Risk Management and Operational Planning for NORM Exposure in the Workplace.
Mr. Robert Blake Larson
Commercial & Environmental Manager, Mosaic & MWSPC Companies
(This résumé was posted on 26 January 2018.)